Monday, April 6, 2009

Kristina Werner's Color Challenge #48



I cannot believe it has been so long since I have posted...aaaahhh! Life has been so crazy lately. I'm hoping to change that soon though - today I joined a group of Splitcoast Stampers that all want to post more regularly to their blogs and support each other through comments - so hopefully that'll help me.

First of all, I want to say that this was quite the challenge as I combined Kristina's Color Challenge with AmyR's Friday Sketch #54 (not this weeks sketch but a great one for this stamp set).

I really enjoyed making this card - can you believe it was the first time I inked up Trendy Trees? Such a great great stamp set with 2 super useful sentiments. However I did not use the sentiments - I made it a night of firsts by breaking into my Chit Chat Rubons. My dh ordered the rubons for me as an extra bonus when he ordered the set of Bold Brights Classic Stampin' Pads that I so desperately wanted for Christmas.

I'd like to try to include more measurements (as well as recipes):
1) Cut Baja Breeze card stock in half (through the middle of the long side) so that your piece measures 5 1/2" x 8 1/2". Score it at 4 1/4"
2) Cut 3 pieces of Chocolate Chip Patterns Designer Series Paper at 1 1/2" x 3 1/4". Adhere 2 pieces 1/4" from the top and sides and the middle piece will be centered between them (1/4" margins on the left and right as well as the top for the middle piece too).
3) Cut Whisper White card stock at 1 7/8" x 4 3/4" and stamp tree trunks in Chocolate Chip Classic Ink. Use a Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the tree tops and stamp them in Kiwi Kiss and Baja Breeze Classic Inks. (Optional: Use a torn post it note to mask off where you want to sponge the grass in Kiwi Kiss Classic Ink.)
4) Cut a layer of Chocolate Chip card stock at 2" x 4 7/8" and Baja Breeze card stock at 2 1/4" x 5 1/8". Sponge Chocolate Chip Classic ink on the edges of the Baja Breeze.
5) Apply chosen Chit Chat rubon (there are so many to choose from in both chocolate and white! - although you could also stamp a sentiment in the same area) in the lower right hand corner.
6) Use white taffeta ribbon to tie a bow around the card.

See ya later chickadees! I'm hopefully going to churn out Dawn McVey's challenge for this week tonight so I'll be back! :)

16 comments:

Sparkly Pink Star said...

Love this card :)

Laura W. said...

This set is great for this color challenge! Great card!

Karolee said...

That card is so cute. I keep looking at Trendy Trees and wonder if I could get it to come out so nice and neat with the branches. Did you use a SAMJ?

Kristy Lounder said...

Sarah, I loooove that you gave the recipe! This card is great. :)

Jennifer said...

I love your card and I'm thinking Trendy Trees needs to be added to my wishlist!

Teresa Brooks said...

Love this card. You did great!!!

Mel O'Donnell said...

Hi Sarah! I just joined your Group Seven at SCS! I've been stamping for a LOOOONNG time, but only just became a SU demo in Feb 09. I look forward to reading your blog and swapping and sharing with you and the others in the group!

PS - I haven't tried my Trendy Trees yet so this might shake me up enough to try it!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Buffy said...

Sarah, this is awesome! I love the colors with this set. I've been holding off on Trendy Trees because of lining up the branches & leaves (even with the SAMJ, I'm kind of challenged). Yours is perfect. Very, very nice!

Unknown said...

Detailed instructions are always great, I think people love and appreciate that! I just love the trendy tree set! And you are a girl after my own heart, I love the trees in out of the ordinary colors, I think that freaks some people out but I think we are just special individuals!! LOL Also love your ribbon treatment, beautiful. TFS Diane

Cate J said...

This is fabulous!! I love all your creations and am looking forward to following your blog!

EValeen said...

Love, Love, LOVE it! I'm part of the Blog Group 7 and can't wait to follow everyone. Although I have been behaving and not buying trendy trees....now I'm not so sure. I think Blog following will go hand in hand with enabling!

Anonymous said...

I just got Trendy Trees in my starter kit and I can't wait to use it. I LOVE this color combo too. I love how you put measurements in your recipes too...thank you!!!

Winter said...

So pretty! Love the trees!

MommaC said...

Love your colours!! Dang ... I knew this group would be "enablers"!!! hehehe
I've got to get this set now!

Brenda Myers said...

Great job Sarah!! This card is so retro!! The colors are awesome!! Have you flown anywhere lately??

Tattered Nest, A Vintage Market said...

Sarah, I am part of the group 7 bloggers and this card is wonderful! i have been wanting to do both Kirstina's and now Dawn's challenges - so with this blog group, I am hoping to be more active with stamping!